Sunday

May 1st, 2007.

At museum-goer pace
We moved through
These quick early years.
‘Ebb and flow’
Whispers the passage of time.
‘Ebb and flow’
She repeats, over and over,
Non compos mentos.
Although regret roars persistent,
Like some mighty perpetual
Motion machine,
Leaving me nearly deaf.

Come close, dear,
And let us both place our ears
Against the clock.
Make me believe again,
Over the grinding machine cogs,
That I can hear more than just
A whispered ‘ebb’ followed by
Nothing.

Last night dreaming of a train derailment,
Rolling, tumbling, I woke,
Rolling, tumbling, I turned towards your closed face,
And saw an eerie reflection.

Each freight car slid slowly off the tracks
Before unearthly physics whipped the whole mass
Upwards like a rearing beast.

Come close, dear,
And let us both place our ears
Against the clock,

Because I do not believe in dreams.
Though I saw clearly before waking
How each of the freight cars
Held twelve passengers,
And through the smoldering mess
I watched June stumble towards me,
Whispering faintly.

No comments: